FINCONS GROUP, an IT & Business Consulting company, is looking for:
Technology Expert / Senior Application Developer (Fast Prototyping Capability Within TMA-CC Activities)
Candidate will be engaged in a team of international professionals and involved in a project at European Commission's Joint Research Centre (JRC) in Ispra (VA) - https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/about/jrc-site/ispra
Accurate, targeted, and timely information is needed by EU institutions at almost every stage of the decision-making process. However, such data required by policy makers is increasingly embedded in large amounts of textual data available on the Internet, e.g. traditional or social media, or in large public or proprietary document sets. The sheer volume of this data makes it nearly impossible to extract the relevant information it contains manually. Text mining and analysis tools are necessary to address not only the problem of volume, but also of timeliness in order to provide the right information in the proper format for the decision-making process, in a variety of contexts.
The Competence Centre on Text Mining and Analysis (TMA-CC) is running a number of projects and support activities ranging from ISA² programme (Interoperable Meta Data and Processing Components for Open Source Information Mining) to Open Source Information Processing for Media Monitoring and Analysis (Europe Media Monitor technology, Public Health Threats Monitoring and Epidemic Intelligence from Open Source), Open Source Intelligence for Security and Defence and Media Intelligence for Early Warning. The TMA-CC provides both the expertise and the tools needed to implement practical solutions based on TMA: computational linguistic, applied ICT, software engineering and support.
The overall purpose is to improve the team’s fast prototyping capabilities with full stack technology integration capability and front-end development.
The objectives of this contract are:
- To provide expert advice and assistance to the TMA-CC team in the analysis and resolution of stakeholders' functional/non-functional other requirements.
- Contribute to the design and development of functional IT solutions based on a modular architecture in order to easily integrate components developed by the Unit.
- Develop user interfaces based on state-of-the art web technologies.
DESCRIPTION OF TASKS
The consultant will be expected to contribute to all the tasks listed below:
- Provision of proof-of-concepts and prototypes to demonstrate benefits of the proposed solutions against initial stakeholders' requirements.
- Development of user interfaces that enable demonstration of end-to-end solutions for innovative use cases.
- Assistance in the implementation of the adopted software engineering methodologies and technologies.
- Provision of quality control tests and technical evaluations.
- Production of technical documentation.
To perform the tasks described above we are looking for a Technology Expert / Application Developer with a strong ability for translating user requirements into functional prototypes by integrating existing software components into a modular architecture and developing effective web-based user interfaces.
Good knowledge of:
- Service Oriented Architectures (REST)
- Relational DBMS (MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL, …) and/or NoSQL repositories (MongoDB or similar)
- Software versioning systems (Git, SVN), build scripts (e.g. Ant, Maven, Gradle) and integrated development environments (e.g. IntelliJ, Eclipse)
Optional skills considered an advantage:
- Elasticsearch or similar technology
- The Angular framework
- Open Source software and tools related to text mining (e.g., GATE, LingPipe, NLTK, KNIME).
- Machine learning/data analysis tools (e.g., scikit learn, WEKA, Octave, R, Gnuplot, libsvm, Tensor Flow, Deeplearning4j, etc.).
- Knowledge of additional languages, besides English.
- Very Good knowledge of English is required
- MSc in Information Technology or relevant fields + minimum 3 years’ experience
- ISPRA (VA) – Italy
- Activities will be performed at the JRC Ispra premises
We will take into consideration candidates of both genders.
Candidates of protected categories with a disability of more than 46% will also be considered.
With over 35 years of experience in IT Business Consulting, FINCONS GROUP partners with clients to support business growth through innovation. The Group delivers tailored end-to-end software solutions to tier-1 clients in different industries: Media, Financial Services, Energy & Utilities, Manufacturing, Transportation and Public Administration. FINCONS GROUP has built its reputation on foreseeing and interpreting new business models and the rapid evolution of IT systems, building a complete range of services: from research and consulting to design and IT development, from system integration of leading software solutions vendors right up to application management, structuring the digital transformation of any size of businesses. High quality and competitiveness are further guaranteed by the Smart-shore IT Service strategy made available through the Delivery Center in Bari (Italy) which provides advanced application management and system building services along the entire digital supply chain. The Group has ongoing collaborations with businesses, public institutions, research centers and universities through its Innovation Lab. FINCONS GROUP has locations in Italy (Milan, Verona, Rome, Bari, Catania), in Switzerland (Küssnacht am Rigi,Lugano, Bern, Zurich), in the UK (London) and in the USA (Los Angeles, New York).