Role: Principal Mechanical Engineer / Senior Thermal Engineer
Salary: Up to £55,000 plus benefits
Oxford Space Systems is a multi-award-winning space technology business developing novel deployable spacecraft structures that are lighter, less complex and lower cost than those in current commercial demand. Our vision is to become the leading supplier of highly competitive deployable structures for the global satellite industry. Due to continued company growth we have a new opportunity for a Principal Mechanical Engineer / Senior Thermal Engineer to join our Harwell team in a pivotal role offering clear progression.
The successful candidate for thePrincipal Mechanical Engineer / Senior Thermal Engineer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Develop clear understanding of customer requirements and impact on designs to determine sensitivity
- Demonstrate a clear and logical approach to problem solving
- Perform design and analysis (mechanical-structural, thermal and dynamic-vibration) to support deployable structures projects
- Creation and documentation of design concepts and development plans through engagement with appropriate functional teams
- Preparation of thorough and detailed analysis reports which focus on the verification of requirements
- Documentation of test plans and detailed procedures through interaction with test facilities and teams
- Support technical reviews with customers and provide technical support to manufacture and test activities
- Support business development team in preparing technical proposals for customers
- Assist in the production and presentation of technical papers for industry conferences and peer reviewed journals
- Visit customer sites in support of business development activities.
In order to be considered for the Principal Mechanical Engineer / Senior Thermal Engineer you will have gained the following skills and experience:
- Strong Bachelor’s degree-level in Mechanical engineering from a reputable university. Additional postgraduate (Masters or above) education is preferred, especially if relevant to space engineering Previous engineering experience working at a senior level
- Previous experience of the Space Industry or a strong desire to work in the space industry is essential
- Familiarity with ECSS standards highly desirable
- Experience in active and passive thermal control of Spacecraft
- Experience with shape memory alloys/composites in spacecraft deployment elements
- Must be able to conduct complex static, thermal, thermo-elastic and random vibration analyses using SW professional/ANSYS/ESATAN/FEMAP.
- The ability to quickly understand new technical concepts is essential
- Experience with software packages for mechanical, thermal analysis and mathematical modelling (SW professional, ANSYS, Matlabetc) is essential
- Practical experience of building (space) mechanisms or mobile structures (i.e. mechanism that act as both deployment and support structures) and validating them through testing is preferred
- Driven by technical challenges, problem solving and practical implementation of new ideas
- Due to the sensitive nature of projects applicants must be eligible to gain SC clearance (normally have been a UK resident for a minimum of 5 years), exceptions will be reviewed on individual merit.
In return you will benefit from working with a truly innovative and ambitious company in a role offering you a salary of up to £55,000 dependent on experience plus benefits including 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, contributory pension, flexible working and share options.
- To apply for the Principal Mechanical Engineer / Senior Thermal Engineerrole please send an up to date cv via the Apply link now
By working with leading academic & commercial collaborators, we're developing genuinely innovative scalable boom, panel and antenna solutions for the world’s leading satellite builders. Based at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus - the UK's Space Cluster - Oxford Space Systems enjoys access to the world-class facilities & expertise of RAL Space, together with support from the UK Space Agency, ESA, Innovate UK and the Satellite Applications Catapult whilst having OSS own purpose built design, analysis, AIT facilities built (due to open August 2018).
- Flessibilità orari
- Snack e caffè gratuiti
- Mensa aziendale
- Pensioni integrative
- Stock Options
- Rimborso chilometrico